The International Students Academic Merit Scholarship is open to new international students seeking a graduate or undergraduate degree. The scholarship covers 50 percent of the total of in and out-of-state tuition and maintenance fees only. No additional fees or costs are covered. The scholarship award can only be used for study at ETSU. The award is available for:
- Eight semesters for undergraduate recipients
- Five semesters for recipients seeking a master's degree, or commensurate with the length of the program.
- Eight semesters for doctoral students, or commensurate with the length of the program (see ETSU graduate catalog).
- Scholarship can be applied to summer semesters.
- Be admitted to ETSU as full-time, degree-seeking students. Scholarship applicants must apply for admission to ETSU before their scholarship applications can be reviewed. ( undergraduate admissions, graduate admissions)
- Have or plan to have an F-1 or J-1 student visa (F-1 visa information, J-1 visa information)
- Have a demonstrated record of academic achievement
- Submit a recommendation form. Please note that personal recommendations (for example, from a relative or an athletic coach) are not acceptable. Please submit a recommendation from an academic reference (a professor or teacher).
- Fill out the scholarship application form.
- Students are encouraged to apply as soon as they are admitted to ETSU.
Completed applications, including letters of recommendation, need to be submitted by the following dates:
- Fall semester deadline: no later than July 1st
- Spring semester deadline: no later than October 1st
- Recipients must maintain full-time status.
- Undergraduate recipients must maintain a 2.75 grade point average in order to continue receiving the scholarship. Graduate recipients must maintain a 3.0 GPA.
- The scholarship only applies to in and out-of-state tuition and maintenance fees. Recipients will be required to pay other fees such as program fees, course fees, housing costs, and medical insurance costs.
- Recipients continuing from a bachelor's to a master's degree program must reapply for the scholarship.
- Students continuing from an ETSU bachelor's degree program to a second ETSU bachelor's degree program
- Graduate students receiving a graduate assistantship or tuition scholarship
- Students receiving any other ETSU tuition scholarship
- Students applying for the M.D. and Pharm. D. programs
For questions contact Ben Shupe: email@example.com
East Tennessee State University
The Honors College
International Programs and Services
P.O. Box 70668
Johnson City, TN 37614 USA
Graduate Assistantships and Tuition Scholarships
International graduate students are eligible for graduate assistantships (GA) and tuition scholarships (TS). GA and TS positions require students to work in exchange for receiving tuition or maintenance fee waivers. Students receiving a GA receive monthly stipends in addition to the tuition waiver. For international students, GA and TS positions include a waiver of out-of-state tuition (GA positions also include a monthly stipend). In order to be eligible for a GA, international students must be admitted unconditionally as graduate students. To be eligible for a TS, students must be in their first period of enrollment as graduate students.
For more information, see the school of graduate studies assistantships and scholarships page. For information regarding available GA and TS positions, students should check with their academic department. Also, the School of Graduate Studies maintains a list of graduate assistantship vacancies.
return to top
Honors Program Scholarships
The Honors College offers programs of study which include the possibility of scholarship funding; These programs are open to international students. The Honors College programs are:
- University Honors Scholars (link)
- Midway Honors Scholars (link)
- Fine and Performing Arts Scholars (link)
- Honors-in-Discipline (link)
To learn more about honors program admission requirements, scholarship availability, and application instructions, visit the above links to each program's web page. In addition, students can visit the Honors College future students page.
return to top
Public Performance Scholarship
The ETSU Public Performance Scholarship is awarded to new out-of-state students, including international students, with interests in the arts. Recipients are not necessarily required to major in the arts; rather, they are required to participate in ETSU performing arts or art exhibition activities. The scholarship covers out-of-state tuition. Students are eligible at both the undergraduate and graduate levels.
For more information, visit the scholarship office's Public Performance Scholarship web page.
return to top
ETSU General Scholarships
The Scholarship Office maintains a list of general university scholarships with varying conditions for eligibility. International students may be eligible for scholarships that do not explicitly state residency requirements. For more information, see the Scholarship Office web site or contact the Scholarship Office at firstname.lastname@example.org.
return to top
P.E.O. International Peace Scholarship
The P.E.O. Sisterhood offers scholarships to women pursuing graduate study in the United States and Canada. The maximum award amount is $10,000 per year. Applicants must be citizens of countries other than the U.S. or Canada and must be admitted as a full-time graduate student with at least one year of coursework remaining. For more information on eligibility requirements and applications, go to www.peointernational.org